Sunday, March 22, 2009

Chaotic Harmony {?}: A Burning Man 09 Installation


“It is interesting to contemplate a tangled bank, clothed with many plants of many kinds, with birds singing on the bushes, with various insects flitting about, and with worms crawling through the damp earth, and to reflect that these elaborately constructed forms, so different from each other, and dependent upon each other in so complex a manner, have all been produced by laws acting around us.” Charles Darwin

Maybe the true beauty and connectivity of art is that it provides no definitive answers. Maybe its power rests empirically in its questions. I’ve always found great comfort and reward in hearing, watching, sometimes just feeling new questions in participants. Questions I didn’t contemplate during its rearing.

So, here are my questions: What do I see when I think of a tangled bank? What do I craft of plants and singing birds on bushes? How do I see beautiful people swarming like insects about my exhibit, some stopping for nectar, some flying to other flowers? Would you call these constructed forms elaborate? Are they really all that different from each other? Is this concept of dependency truly a complex manner? Are all of these things truly produced by definitive laws? Who makes the laws, I ask you?

Have a seat, friend. Ask a question. If it be from your heart, you may not leave with an answer, but you will leave…changed. Just by asking the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Animal Rescue Site